Join FLY and YAAA for an interactive workshop lead by Dr. Janice Z. Gassam Asare. Topics will include racial equity, systemic and structural issues that impact unconscious bias and micro-aggressions. The workshop will be comprised of an interactive presentation where attendees are invited to participate in different discussions aimed at better understanding. Scholarly sources and empirical research will be used to support the workshop.
The goal of this workshop is to provide participants with the specific tools to help create an inclusive workplace for both coworkers and colleagues. Participants are invited to engage in a series of activities to strengthen their understanding and ability to navigate a culturally diverse world.
- Addressing structural and systemic barriers that allow unconscious and implicit bias to persist
- Exploring micro-aggressions and micro-aggressive behavior, how it manifests in the workplace and how to be more aware of these types of actions and behaviors
- Participants will engage in role-plays to understand how to navigate different negative workplace outcomes that they may experience or may have already experienced
- Privilege will be discussed in order to understand how it impacts decision-making and systems of inequity
- Participants will engage in dialogue around unpacking, understanding and unlearning white supremacy
- Well-researched and empirical data on specific steps that can be implemented to reduce bias in the workplace will be provided
- Recognizing and dismantling racism in the workplace (topics explored include systemic racism and anti-blackness), assessing racial equity in your workplace
- Participants will be given additional strategies that can be implemented in the workplace to support anti-racism efforts
- Strategies for having effective discussions about race in the workplace will be explored
- This workshop will also include an “Ask Me Anything” component in which attendees can ask any questions related to allyship and inclusion as it pertains to the Black community.
Participants’ responses will be kept anonymous and confidential. We look forward to your participation!